Halloween means costumes, decorations, trick-or-treating, and lots of candy. While enjoying some sugary snacks can be fun, overdoing it can damage your teeth. You may be wondering, are there any good Halloween sweets?
The Good Halloween Snacks
– Sugar-free Candy: Sugar-free lollipops and hard candies can stimulate saliva, preventing dry mouth. Saliva neutralizes the acid in your mouth, preventing tooth decay and the risk of cavities.
– Dark Chocolate: While chocolate is loaded with sugar, recent studies suggest that the antioxidants found in dark chocolate are good for your heart and can even lower your blood pressure. So enjoy some dark chocolate, but only in moderation.
The Bad Halloween Snacks
– Sugary Sweets: Candies such as cookies, cakes, and candy corn are all high in sugar, which can lead to tooth decay.
– Sticky Snacks: Gummy candies and taffy can be a serious source of tooth decay. These chewy snacks can get stuck in your teeth and may be difficult to remove.
– Sour Candies: Sour snacks are highly acidic and can break down tooth enamel quickly. Avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes after consuming acidic foods and drinks, otherwise you will be spreading the harmful acid throughout your mouth.
This Halloween, enjoy all the fun and sweets, but remember not to keep sugary treats around the house for too long. These tempting snacks can lead to an increased risk of cavities.
Wondering what to do with your extra candy? Why not spread the holiday cheer and donate them to local shelters, nursing homes, food banks, and soup kitchens. In moderation, we can all enjoy this fun holiday.
If you have any questions or concerns about Halloween candy, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach us at at (514) 364-3366 or click here to visit our website. Also be sure to visit our Facebook page to keep up with information that affect your dental health and wellness.